DIY: Pinecone Garland + Photo Display
When I went inside Michael's, I was greeted by the lovely smell of scented pinecones and my mother-in-law pointed out that they were on sale! So of course, I got myself a bag and boy was I so excited to do a DIY on them!
I knew that I wanted to make a garland out of them but I wasn't sure how so I just went along with my gut. It was actually harder than I thought when I first started doing it but after a few trial and errors, I learned how to make them slightly easier!
What You'll Need:
- Pinecones - I painted some of mine gold for that extra OOMF! But that's optional! I just used a metallic finish spray paint
- Hot glue
- Tacks/paper pins
- Wooden clips *optional*
- Printed pictures *optional*
1. Prepare your string. The longer the better because we will be twirling it around the pinecones. Then lay the pinecones in the order you want them to be on the string. I did mine in an alternate of the regular pinecones and the gold ones.
2. Find a slot at the bottom of the pinecone because that's where you'll place your string.
3. NOW THIS IS THE TRICKY PART:
Twirl your string around the pinecone once. Once your string reaches the starting point of the twirl, tie a knot and secure it with hot glue. The knot should be at the left side of the pinecone. Then continue on with half a twirl, stopping at the opposite side of the knot (meaning, at the right side of the pinecone), then secure it again with hot glue. As soon as the glue dries, you can continue on with the next pinecone.
To make this step a lot easier, make sure to make your pinecones stand upright. It will be so much easier to tie knots around the pinecones.
4. Just keep repeating those steps until you're satisfied with the length of your garland and it should look like this:
5. Grab your tacks and hang them on your wall, your ceiling or by the window!
Or you can hang them up this way. You can also add some photos for a personal touch! I got my red wooden clips from Michael's as well.
What I love about these pinecones is that they make my room smell so good! I don't even know how to explain it to you guys, but my room just smells so CHRISTMAS-y! No need for candles! It's also a great way to display my favorite photos this Christmas season. ♥︎
If you have any questions about this DIY, feel free to ask me through the comment box below! I know it's a little bit confusing but when you're actually making it, it makes sense. And if you do recreate this DIY, let me know! I know it's a little bit too late since Christmas is coming so soon but I would still love to see what you make of this DIY.